Chad Taylor

Here we go again


It's a standing tradition that the day after I send off a manuscript, I start work on the next one.

I don't believe in writing 7/52/365. Stephen King does that and it shows. I'd be happy to if someone was paying me. When I was a child I thought being a writer would be like writing scripts for Star Trek every week: a producer would come in, give you a list of constraints and you'd write a story around it. This is a male thing, apparently: wanting to be helpful. I was never one for scratching it out a word at a time on scrolls of vellum. More green visor, two fingers punching an Olivetti kinda thing. Working class values, basically: writing as a trade.

(Some trade. There's a lovely David Lynch interview in which he talks about George Lucas asking him to direct Return of the Jedi in which Lynch says something like "I do what I love and he's doing what he loves, but what he loves makes about a billion dollars." Couldn't have put it better.)

Anyway, I started work on the next one.