Chad Taylor

Working

When you sit down to write, is that what you do? Just say, "Okay, I'm starting a book" and then sit down and keep writing until it's done? Do you take breaks? Do you ever get writer's block?

No. No writer's block. Never had it. Don't believe in it. Doesn't exist. I don't buy that one.

Ernest Hemingway said it... If you've got writer's block, write one sentence. And if you can write one, you can write two. If you can write two, you can write three. If you've written three, you have a paragraph. There's just no such thing as writer's block.

I work all the time. I write all the time. No days off, not for any reason. I get up in the morning and I start at it, get into the afternoon, I work out. I work at it at night. I work on it until I go to bed at eleven. I keep a notebook by my table and I write in the middle of the night sometimes. Sometimes I'll write from maybe 4AM to 6AM and go back to bed, but I write all the time. And I always have. That's the way I've always done it.
James Lee Burke. Full interview here.